Alumasc Facades‘ Jay Conolly discusses the nine benefits of external wall insulation, from saving money to helping the environment.
1. Your home will be more thermally efficient, meaning you won’t use as much energy. You could potentially save hundreds on annual energy bills – increasing the thermal efficiency of your home will result in less energy being needed to keep it warm, so less money is spent on heating it.
2. Installing EWI is quick and all work takes place externally, so you can remain at home with minimal disruption. Internal space is not infringed upon and you do not lose space internally since the insulation is installed on the outside of the property.
3. There are additional acoustic benefits – EWI reduces noise pollution from the outside world to help keep your property quiet.
4. It prolongs the lifespan of your property; buildings are protected from the elements to help prevent deterioration. Protective finishes are used to defend the structure of the property, while the insulation system itself keeps moisture from entering the walls.
5. External insulation will upgrade the appearance of your building. Coloured, textured and brick finishes are available to suit any project. Colours may be offered or available on request (subject to minimum order size) while brick slips may be manufactured to replicate most UK brick types.
6. EWI contributes to helping the environment. Energy consumption will be reduced significantly, resulting in less fossil fuels being burned in order to heat your property. EWI will in turn reduce your carbon footprint while making your home nicer and more efficient to live in.
7. Insulation keeps the structure of your building dry. Installing a system eliminates condensation within the home and walls; if too much condensation is present, damp and mould are inevitable issues. EWI mitigates moisture within walls and keeps them dry to prevent damp and mould from arising in the future.
8. The overall value of your property will increase based on three main factors. Firstly, its U-value will increase. This is a measure of how well a material performs as an insulator, and a more effective insulator holds more value. Secondly, its EPC rating will increase. A property’s energy performance certificate tells residents how energy efficient it is. Finally, the appearance of your home will be upgraded. Thanks to a variety of coloured renders, textured finishes and even brick-effect finishes your home will have an improved aesthetic, thus contributing to a rise in its value.
9. Insulation helps your home in the summer as well as in the winter. On hot days, insulation is able to prevent your property from overheating. In houses with insulation, heat transferred from the sun to the walls doesn’t pass to the inside of the property, keeping the interior cool. Additionally, any air conditioning unit you may posses will be made more effective since the property is at a lower temperature. Cool air can be let into the house during the night by opening windows, then the insulation keeps the cool air inside when windows are closed throughout the day.
White House Works,
Phone: 01744 648400
As part of the revamp of a young couple’s property, a frameless rooflight from Glazing Vision was incorporated to flood light into their windowless kitchen area.Posted in Articles, Building Industry News, Building Products & Structures, Glass, Glass Projects, Glazing, Lighting, Posts, Retrofit & Renovation, Roofs, Windows
An eCLIQ system from ASSA ABLOY allows a person to manage everyone’s access from anywhere, at any time – electronically, securely and wirelessly.Posted in Access Control & Door Entry Systems, Articles, Building Industry News, Case Studies, Health & Safety, Information Technology, Innovations & New Products, Posts, Security and Fire Protection
Vent-Axia has announced it has been shortlisted three times in the H&V News Awards 2019, which takes place at London’s Grosvenor House Hotel on 25 April.Posted in Air Conditioning, Articles, Awards, Building Industry Events, Building Industry News, Building Services, Health & Safety, Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning - HVAC, Posts, Publications
Fibo UK is pleased to announce that it has achieved a Class 1 fire rating on its Grey Concrete, White Tile Silk and Titan bathroom wall panels.Posted in Articles, Bathrooms, Bedrooms & Washrooms, Building Industry News, Building Products & Structures, Health & Safety, Interior Design & Construction, Interiors, news, Posts, Walls