Tremco illbruck products help lay floors of new hospital building in Fife
Tremco illbruckcontact supplier
Compriband joints and Tremco damp proof and smoothing products
Architects BDP specified Tremco illbruck Compriband construction joints and Tremco damp proof and smoothing products for use in laying the floors of the Victoria Hospital in Kirkcaldy.
Project: construction of the new 500 bed extension to the Victoria Hospital by Balfour Beatty
MacGregor Flooring: specialist sub-contractor
- installed the majority of the Compriband movement joints
- used Tremco ES100 One Coat Universal fluid applied damp proof membrane and compatible smoothing products
Tremco ES100 One Coat Universal fluid
used to prepare 40,000 m2 of newly power-floated concrete floors,
Compriband movement joints
- different types of fireproof and waterproof construction joints can be found employed within the reinforced concrete floor slabs from the basement to the sixth floor; including within the plant rooms on the second and top floor
- Compriband Superspan FP90 was selected as it has the capacity to retain any water or chemical spillages that might occur in the event of a fault with mechanical service equipment
- in the basement the Compriband Interspan All-Metal FS75 was preferred to withstand extra heavy loads from hospital ‘tug’ vehicles
- rest of the floors were constructed using Interspan All-Metal FS146
- all joints were laid over Compriband Gapseal FR to guard against the ingress of smoke or flame in a fire situation
- 46 metres of the Superspan SP90 used for the plant areas
- 240 linear metres of the Interspan All-Metal FS146 were used during the installation of the main floor slabs in the ward and other areas
Architect Eveline Mertens, comments: ’We chose to specify the Tremco illbruck Compriband range of movement joints because colleagues in the practice had used them successfully for other projects in the past and because they offer a good appearance.
’Tremco illbruck is a well known company with a good reputation’.
A long established client of Tremco illbruck’s flooring division, the manufacturer provided full on site support to ensure all of the profiles were correctly installed; as well as to provide regular checks on the moisture levels in the substrates.
The Contracts Director for MacGregor Flooring, Kenny Smith, adds: ’We use the Tremco ES100 One Coat Universal on pretty much every job we do – in combination with the smoothing compounds – because of their reliability.
The Victoria Hospital project went pretty much flawlessly and we were very impressed with how the company’s Technical Manager spent time on site ensuring everything was correct’.
As a result, some 15-20 per cent of the floor surfaces were ‘passed’ as having acceptable moisture levels to take floor coverings which were mainly lino from Forbo Nairn in Kirkcaldy.
Once the Tremco ES100 DPM had cured, MacGregor flooring was able to follow up with the use of two Tremco illbruck smoothing compounds: Tremco SX300 Unitex being specified for low traffic areas, and Tremco SX200 Unismooth where heavy or wheeled traffic was predicted.
Tremco illbruck’s MMA Rapid Cure Flexible System has been used in the resurfacing of a landmark car park at the Quayside Tower office on Broad Street in Birmingham.
Very fast curing methacrylate decking coating systems from Tremco illbruck meet the rigorous demands of heavy trafficked multi storey car parks and extreme weather conditions. Tremco Rapid Cure MMA systems waterproof the structure and provide an anti-slip surface. The top coat can be specified in a full range of colours to denote parking bays, walkways and drive aisles. Tremco illbruck offer specification assistance and extended warranty periods.
Tremco illbruck’s ES600 moisure vapour suppressant has recently attained BREEAM (BRE Environmental Assessment Method) accreditation as well as EC1 compliance. Water-based ES600 has a low VOC content and is used for tackling residual moisture in new constructions. It is a single component moisture vapour suppressant which can be applied within one hour, allowing some floorcoverings to be applied the same day.
Tremco SF108 (formerly known as Treadfast 108) is a pressure sensitive adhesive for vinyl floor and wall coverings as well as most rubber floor coverings that has been awarded BREEAM compliant recognition for its sustainability. SF108 is also solvent- free, non-flammable, offers low toxicity and meets current legislation for low VOC requirements. The BREEAM recognition makes it the right specification, especially for schools, hospitals and other sensitive projects.
Tremco illbruck compares the ideal cricket test pitch to that of a contract flooring installation – both need to be very flat, offer a safe footing and be able to withstand heavy wear. Tremco illbuck’s range of tackifiers offer ease of application and compatibility across the range. All adhesives are trialled to ensure they work in partnership with compatible underlayments, moisture vapour suppressants and damp proof membranes.