Stunning Senior's Hybrid composite solution for University
Senior Architectural Systemscontact supplier
Hybrid composite casement windows and curtain wall
GRC-clad extension to the Horton Building at the University of Bradford features Senior Architectural Systems’ Hybrid composite aluminium and engineered timber casement windows and curtain wall.
Constructed as part of the university’s ongoing estates strategy and designed by Farrell & Clark, the purpose-built four-storey extension to the fully refurbished Horton Building is the new home for the University of Bradford’s School of Health Studies.
Senior Architectural Systems’ Hybrid composite aluminium and engineered timber casement windows and curtain wall.
- around 800 sqm of the system has been fabricated and fitted by Huddersfield-based specialists Continental Installations with a contract value in excess of £350,000
- building focal point is a dramatically sloping elevation from the first to the top floor, recessed with a 9 metre-tall screen of Hybrid Series 3 curtain wall
- Hybrid windows complement the random colour shading of the rainscreen skin on adjacent faces, all of which forms a contemporary façade in keeping with the appearance of the stone on nearby buildings
- combines the advantage of long life, low maintenance aluminium externally, with all the aesthetic and performance benefits of engineered timber internally
- high quality and high performance system
- system offers the thermal efficiency of timber combined with the latest glass technology to produce U-values well below the current and anticipated future Building Regulation requirements
- fully pre-treated engineered timber internally means that warping or twisting is eliminated
According to Continental Installations’ sales director Paul Evans, the fact that Hybrid is designed and manufactured in the UK was a key attraction to main contractor ISG.
’The architects specified a competitor product, but we were able to demonstrate the benefits of a system that is designed and manufactured here.
’Lead times are dramatically reduced and we were able to offer total flexibility during the planning, manufacturing and installation processes’.
Hybrid family comprises
- Series 1 range of traditional composite windows and doors
- Series 2 contemporary collection of commercial slim-line windows
- Series 3 composite curtain wall
The aluminium profiles were supplied fully powder coated from Senior’s in-house facility, one of the largest and technically most advanced in the country.
Being naturally ventilated, the £6m School of Health Studies has been designed to meet a challenging sustainability brief.
It boasts a high thermal performance and controlled solar gain, and brings the benefit of natural day light to occupied rooms.
A short video of the building can be seen here: http://bit.ly/bradford-university
Senior Architectural Systems has reported that the 2013 FIT show was a big success in terms of visitor numbers and enquiries. The company generated over 200 enquiries at the Fabricator and Installer Trade Show with significant interest being shown in its high performance Hybrid window system. The show was also used as a platform to launch the Senior Architectural Systems’ Homes by Senior initiative.
Senior Architectural Systems has launched Homes by Senior, a Hybrid System range of products and services for the home improvement sector. The range includes the Hybrid Lift n Slide door, Hybrid Curtain Walling and the Hybrid Series 1 casement window. Fully working examples are now being showcased in showrooms across the UK.
’Homes by Senior’ theme from SAS at the FIT Show included new Hybrid and aluminium products, including the slide & fold door and the all new lift and slide door, new build and home improvement markets. ‘Homes by Senior’s’ Hybrid range is now available in fabricated form for the first time.
Senior Architectural Systems (SAS) has supplied a two-storey curtain wall featuring its high performance entrance doors and windows for the refurbishment of an indoor venue at the Norfolk Showground.
Senior Architectural Systems will launch the ‘Homes by Senior’ range of home fenestration systems, available direct to the trade.