Stunning Senior's Hybrid composite solution for University
Senior Architectural Systemscontact supplier
Hybrid composite casement windows and curtain wall
GRC-clad extension to the Horton Building at the University of Bradford features Senior Architectural Systems’ Hybrid composite aluminium and engineered timber casement windows and curtain wall.
Constructed as part of the university’s ongoing estates strategy and designed by Farrell & Clark, the purpose-built four-storey extension to the fully refurbished Horton Building is the new home for the University of Bradford’s School of Health Studies.
Senior Architectural Systems’ Hybrid composite aluminium and engineered timber casement windows and curtain wall.
- around 800 sqm of the system has been fabricated and fitted by Huddersfield-based specialists Continental Installations with a contract value in excess of £350,000
- building focal point is a dramatically sloping elevation from the first to the top floor, recessed with a 9 metre-tall screen of Hybrid Series 3 curtain wall
- Hybrid windows complement the random colour shading of the rainscreen skin on adjacent faces, all of which forms a contemporary façade in keeping with the appearance of the stone on nearby buildings
- combines the advantage of long life, low maintenance aluminium externally, with all the aesthetic and performance benefits of engineered timber internally
- high quality and high performance system
- system offers the thermal efficiency of timber combined with the latest glass technology to produce U-values well below the current and anticipated future Building Regulation requirements
- fully pre-treated engineered timber internally means that warping or twisting is eliminated
According to Continental Installations’ sales director Paul Evans, the fact that Hybrid is designed and manufactured in the UK was a key attraction to main contractor ISG.
’The architects specified a competitor product, but we were able to demonstrate the benefits of a system that is designed and manufactured here.
’Lead times are dramatically reduced and we were able to offer total flexibility during the planning, manufacturing and installation processes’.
Hybrid family comprises
- Series 1 range of traditional composite windows and doors
- Series 2 contemporary collection of commercial slim-line windows
- Series 3 composite curtain wall
The aluminium profiles were supplied fully powder coated from Senior’s in-house facility, one of the largest and technically most advanced in the country.
Being naturally ventilated, the £6m School of Health Studies has been designed to meet a challenging sustainability brief.
It boasts a high thermal performance and controlled solar gain, and brings the benefit of natural day light to occupied rooms.
A short video of the building can be seen here: http://bit.ly/bradford-university
Senior Architectural Systems has provided aluminium door and window systems for a newly completed Extra Care Charitable Trust residential development in Birmingham.
Senior Architectural Systems has contributed to the new £8 million building at Worthing Hospital by installing its Hybrid casement window system and aluminium entrance doors.
Curtain walling, windows and doors from Senior Architectural Systems have played a key role in the rebuilding of Campsmount Technology College near Doncaster in South Yorkshire. Senior’s SMR800 aluminium curtain walling was used for the student and visitor entrances while the SCW system was specified for the school’s staircases and other areas. The company’s SPW600 top hung aluminium window system and SPW500 and SD doors were also installed.
The Broadwater Inclusive Learning Campus in Tottenham is a 6,000m2 amalgamation of a mainstream primary school and two special needs schools which has used Hybrid curtain walling, door and window systems from Senior Architectural Systems (SAS). The inclusion of the Hybrid systems has helped the project achieve a BREEAM Excellent rating. The Hybrid curtain wall system consists of an aluminium outer profile and an engineered timber interior.
Senior Architectural Systems has been awarded an operational rating of five stars under the South Yorkshire ECO Stars Fleet Recognition Scheme. An ECO Stars Scheme assessment recognised Senior’s fleet for its environmental performance and efficiency. The scheme also praised the company’s fuel management and vehicle maintenance programme.