Senior Architectural Systems composite curtain wall for Wakefield One
Senior Architectural Systemscontact supplier
Hybrid Series 3 composite curtain wall
Hybrid Series 3 composite curtain wall offered engineered timber plus protection and thermal efficiency of aluminium facings to external surfaces.
Wakefield One is123,000 sq ft of prime office accommodation, part of the city’s Merchant Gate redevelopment programme, part of the vision to transform the 17-acre site into a vibrant, urban quarter for Wakefield in the heart of the city centre.
- Designed by Cartright Pickard architects
- Composite fenestration solution fabricated and installed by Dortech Architectural Systems
- Dortech was appointed by main contractor Morgan Sindall
Wakefield One’s BREEAM ‘Excellent’ status has been achieved in part by the specification of Senior Architectural Systems’ Hybrid Series 3 composite curtain wall.
Hybrid was fabricated and installed within six months – a demanding timeframe made possible because Senior’s system is UK sourced, meaning lead times are minimal.
- Around 200 window pods were formed from Hybrid curtain wall, a medium rise stick system that has been designed to achieve high weather and thermal performance.
- The architect’s design called for a myriad different sizes – whilst the height remains constant, the recess width varies significantly across the façade of the building.
- The glazed surfaces amount to 2,500m2
- South facing elevations are fitted with Dualtherm HP70 solar controlled glass, whilst the other three elevations have been glazed with 6mm clear toughened panels.
The manufacturing and installation process was not without its technical challenges. These included development by Senior Architectural Systems of:
- bespoke external feature cappings
- anodised to match the colour scheme of other aluminium facings that form an integral part of the glazing frame
Dortech also installed picture-frame aluminium panels to in-fill the lower sections of several full-height frames.
The building’s heating system is located behind these panels, which are set within the spruce framework of Hybrid.
Dortech performed a series of expansion and contraction calculations to ensure the engineered timber, which has a moisture content of less than 10%, would remain stable within the temperature ranges of the building.
Wakefield One will facilitate the relocation of some of the council’s key services, offering a single point of access to a range of services, including a customer access point, business lounge, library, and museum.
The building was delivered by English Cities fund (ECf), a partnership between Muse Developments, Legal and General Property and the Homes and Communities Agency.
Senior Architectural Systems has provided aluminium door and window systems for a newly completed Extra Care Charitable Trust residential development in Birmingham.
Senior Architectural Systems has contributed to the new £8 million building at Worthing Hospital by installing its Hybrid casement window system and aluminium entrance doors.
Curtain walling, windows and doors from Senior Architectural Systems have played a key role in the rebuilding of Campsmount Technology College near Doncaster in South Yorkshire. Senior’s SMR800 aluminium curtain walling was used for the student and visitor entrances while the SCW system was specified for the school’s staircases and other areas. The company’s SPW600 top hung aluminium window system and SPW500 and SD doors were also installed.
The Broadwater Inclusive Learning Campus in Tottenham is a 6,000m2 amalgamation of a mainstream primary school and two special needs schools which has used Hybrid curtain walling, door and window systems from Senior Architectural Systems (SAS). The inclusion of the Hybrid systems has helped the project achieve a BREEAM Excellent rating. The Hybrid curtain wall system consists of an aluminium outer profile and an engineered timber interior.
Senior Architectural Systems has been awarded an operational rating of five stars under the South Yorkshire ECO Stars Fleet Recognition Scheme. An ECO Stars Scheme assessment recognised Senior’s fleet for its environmental performance and efficiency. The scheme also praised the company’s fuel management and vehicle maintenance programme.