Senior Architectural Systems composite curtain wall for Wakefield One
Senior Architectural Systemscontact supplier
Hybrid Series 3 composite curtain wall
Hybrid Series 3 composite curtain wall offered engineered timber plus protection and thermal efficiency of aluminium facings to external surfaces.
Wakefield One is123,000 sq ft of prime office accommodation, part of the city’s Merchant Gate redevelopment programme, part of the vision to transform the 17-acre site into a vibrant, urban quarter for Wakefield in the heart of the city centre.
- Designed by Cartright Pickard architects
- Composite fenestration solution fabricated and installed by Dortech Architectural Systems
- Dortech was appointed by main contractor Morgan Sindall
Wakefield One’s BREEAM ‘Excellent’ status has been achieved in part by the specification of Senior Architectural Systems’ Hybrid Series 3 composite curtain wall.
Hybrid was fabricated and installed within six months – a demanding timeframe made possible because Senior’s system is UK sourced, meaning lead times are minimal.
- Around 200 window pods were formed from Hybrid curtain wall, a medium rise stick system that has been designed to achieve high weather and thermal performance.
- The architect’s design called for a myriad different sizes – whilst the height remains constant, the recess width varies significantly across the façade of the building.
- The glazed surfaces amount to 2,500m2
- South facing elevations are fitted with Dualtherm HP70 solar controlled glass, whilst the other three elevations have been glazed with 6mm clear toughened panels.
The manufacturing and installation process was not without its technical challenges. These included development by Senior Architectural Systems of:
- bespoke external feature cappings
- anodised to match the colour scheme of other aluminium facings that form an integral part of the glazing frame
Dortech also installed picture-frame aluminium panels to in-fill the lower sections of several full-height frames.
The building’s heating system is located behind these panels, which are set within the spruce framework of Hybrid.
Dortech performed a series of expansion and contraction calculations to ensure the engineered timber, which has a moisture content of less than 10%, would remain stable within the temperature ranges of the building.
Wakefield One will facilitate the relocation of some of the council’s key services, offering a single point of access to a range of services, including a customer access point, business lounge, library, and museum.
The building was delivered by English Cities fund (ECf), a partnership between Muse Developments, Legal and General Property and the Homes and Communities Agency.
Home improvement sector demand for Senior’s Hybrid System increase with the launch of ‘Homes by Senior’ and Senior’s are providing fully working examples in showrooms across the country. The first of these, at ‘Express Bi Folding Doors’ showroom in Redhill includes the new Hybrid ‘Lift n Slide’ door finished in solid oak.
Senior Architectural Systems has reported that the 2013 FIT show was a big success in terms of visitor numbers and enquiries. The company generated over 200 enquiries at the Fabricator and Installer Trade Show with significant interest being shown in its high performance Hybrid window system. The show was also used as a platform to launch the Senior Architectural Systems’ Homes by Senior initiative.
Senior Architectural Systems has launched Homes by Senior, a Hybrid System range of products and services for the home improvement sector. The range includes the Hybrid Lift n Slide door, Hybrid Curtain Walling and the Hybrid Series 1 casement window. Fully working examples are now being showcased in showrooms across the UK.
’Homes by Senior’ theme from SAS at the FIT Show included new Hybrid and aluminium products, including the slide & fold door and the all new lift and slide door, new build and home improvement markets. ‘Homes by Senior’s’ Hybrid range is now available in fabricated form for the first time.
Senior Architectural Systems (SAS) has supplied a two-storey curtain wall featuring its high performance entrance doors and windows for the refurbishment of an indoor venue at the Norfolk Showground.