Knauf Drywall enable modern schools to be built to meet acoustic criteria
Knauf Drywallcontact supplier
Project posed the challenge of fulfilling the stringent performance specifications for different partition walls throughout the college while reducing the number of partition wall types to an economic minimum.
Case study shows how Knauf Drywall expert installation enabled specifications to be met for different partition walls throughout Hollingworth Business and Enterprise College.
The right technical support from Knauf Drywall coupled with expert installation has enabled one of the North West’s most modern schools to be built with just five partition designs to satisfy the whole range of acoustic criteria.
Hollingworth Business and Enterprise College in Milnrow, near Rochdale, qualified for a new school building, under the Building Schools for the Future programme.
The project posed the challenge of fulfilling the stringent performance specifications for different partition walls throughout the college while reducing the number of partition wall types to an economic minimum.
Working with dry lining sub-contractor Horbury Building Systems, Knauf Drywall was able to simplify specification and streamlined inventory requirements with a range of drywall constructions developed specifically for the education sector.
Dave Walsh, Contracts Manager for Horbury Building Systems said ’Using Knauf Drywall’s optimised system, just five partition designs are required to meet the full range of acoustic, fire, and impact performance ratings on this project, which makes for simpler management and installation of materials on site’.
All partitions are based around standard Knauf metal section but employ various permutations of Knauf plasterboard to satisfy the demanding specifications for individual interior walls in modern schools.
- Partitions for the project met the airborne sound requirements of Building Bulletin 93, which range from 45dB(Rw) in general teaching areas up to 63dB(Rw) for music classrooms and dance/drama halls
- Fire integrity ranges from up to 60 minutes to 90 minutes, and all partitions offer ‘severe’ category strength, perforation and impact resistance
Majority of internal walls comprise:
- 70mm Knauf ‘C’ Studs at 600, 400, or 300mm centres, lined with Knauf Wallboard,
- Knauf Impact Panel, or Knauf Soundshield according to their location.
- Knauf Acoustic Partition Roll insulation in 25, 50, or 100mm thickness - to achieve the right levels of sound reduction.
- In areas that require the optimum acoustic performance of 63dB and fire integrity of up to 90 minutes, twin 50mm ‘C’ Studs are installed with two layers of 15mm Knauf Wallboard either side of the stud, together with centrally mounted 100mm void insulation.
A ’through the wall’ building facade system designed and supplied by Knauf Facades. for a Family Mosaic Housing Association development, part of the regeneration of the Elephant and Castle in London, anticipates future standards of thermal performance by going a long way to meet the 2016 Government target for new-build of the ‘zero carbon home’.
New simplified Knauf Plasterboard range includes Knauf Performance Plus and Knauf Soundshield Plus, high performance products for demanding commercial applications
Knauf’s Aquapanel Exterior building panel has been specified for the outside toilet pods at Quinton’s rebuilt Four Dwellings Primary School.
The newly launched ThermaFrame system from Knauf Facades reduces thermal transfer through walls, negates the need for external insulation and can achieve U-values as low as 0.15W/m2K.
The Novotel London Blackfriars and Ibis London Blackfriars hotels were completed in time for the Olympic games with the help of Readymix Plasters from Knauf Drywall.