Combined smoke and natural ventilation from SE Controls protects residents
SE Controlscontact supplier
Combined smoke and natural ventilation
New residential development by Linden Homes in Hammersmith, London is using a combined smoke and natural ventilation solution from SE Controls to protect residents.
The multi-storey apartment building, designed by HAP Architects, provides 81 apartments from ground to sixth floor penthouse level, together with a communal roof top terrace, private gardens and secure parking.
SE Controls developed the smoke ventilation system to remove smoke from corridors and stairwells by using a mix of natural air buoyancy venting and fan extraction through smoke shafts, to provide:.
- a safe means of escape for residents in the event of a fire
- enable fire fighters to enter the building
Floor one to five
- smoke ventilation is provided by extract fans located in the building’s cycle store
- replacement air being supplied through ground floor air inlet shaft
- vented by a 1.5m2 vent in the top floor corridor and by a similar arrangement at the head of the stair
- in addition to smoke ventilation, the SE Controls’ solution is also designed to provide mechanically assisted natural ventilation to help maintain a comfortable temperature within the building’s corridors
- as central heating and hot water distribution pipe work feeds each apartment via the corridors, the potential for the corridors to become overheated in some situations has also been addressed by the system
- on the first five floors, extract fans, which run at half speed, remove warm air from the corridors and the system’s smoke dampers are opened as required by the building’s natural ventilation control panel
On the sixth floor, a dedicated tamper proof thermostat controls the lobby vent while hooded vents allow ventilation during inclement weather conditions.
Integrated smoke and natural ventilation control strategy
- developed by SE Controls to meet the specific needs of the apartment building and involved the use of nine OS2 controllers and tamper proof manual control points, as well as a range of temperature sensors and smoke sensors, all of which are linked to the main system control panel with a failsafe battery back up
- under normal operation, the natural ventilation (NV) system is active between 08:00 and 20:00, which provides ventilation and corridor cooling to the building.
- NV controller scans the temperature sensors and allows the end of corridor Automatic Opening Vents (AOVs) to open when required - in the event of a fire, where the system is triggered either by a smoke sensor or manually activated, all NV functions are stopped and the OS2 controller for the affected zone signals the fans to run at full speed
SE Controls’ Project Leader, Brett Cave, explained: ’Smoke ventilation is a safety critical factor in residential building design as it not only aids escape and enhances safety, but also assists the fire service by improving access to the building.
’This project is one of an increasingly large number where we have developed a combined smoke and natural ventilation solution control strategy that not only enables high safety levels to be maintained, but also improves the environment of the building’s occupants’.
SE Controls specialises in the design, project management and installation of advanced smoke ventilation and natural ventilation solutions to meet the needs of architects, contractors, building services engineers and facilities managers worldwide.
Further information on SE Controls’ products, solutions and projects, use the website link above or call 44 (0) 1543 443060.
Smoke and natural ventilation specialist, SE Controls, raised £6,504 for Midlands charity St Giles Hospice, which provides specialist care for patients with cancer and other serious illnesses.
SE Controls advanced SHEVTEC smoke and heat exhaust ventilation systems provides smoke free escape routes for residents and staff in the event of fire at the new Marconi House apartments and an adjacent hotel development in London, designed by Foster & Partners.
Award winning office development at Woodcock Street features an advanced natural ventilation solution supplied, installed and commissioned by SE Controls. This reduced energy consumption, enhancing the building’s sustainability, and created a comfortable environment for staff and visitors.
The Marconi House hotel and apartment development on The Strand in London is benefitting from the installation of an SE Controls SHEVTEC smoke and heat exhaust ventilation system.
SE Controls has supplied natural ventilation technology to Sytner Group’s state-of-the-art Audi dealership in Leicester.