Z-Led gas and damp barrier for new ‘Gateway to the Valleys’ school
Protect GDB10 Gas and Damp Barrier
Z-Led’s Protect GDB10 Gas and Damp Barrier stops any methane, carbon dioxide and radon from entering a building plus provides a damp-proof membrane.
Coleg Cymunedol y Dderwen is Bridgend County Borough Council’s new ‘Gateway to the Valleys’ school, due to open in September 2013, providing education for over 1500 pupils plus community facilities.
Z-Led’s Protect GDB10 universal gas and damp barrier membrane, sealed with Protect GDB tape and Z-Led ‘tophats’, all helped the new building achieve a BREEAM rating of at least ‘excellent’ .
Groundworks specialist sub-contractor Churngold has laid approximately 17000m2 of Protect GDB10 membrane, for main contractor Leadbitter Group, to protect against penetration of potentially harmful gases of radon, methane and carbon monoxide into the buildings.
Each membrane abutment joint has been taped with Z-Led’s innovative ZSAGDPC 150 tape applied on a 150mm overlap.
- eliminating separate applications of firstly butyl joint tape and secondly foil lap tape
- provides a more secure joint
- accelerates installation time
- cuts foot traffic across the membrane by half
The Z-Led ‘tophats’ are specifically designed to create a leak-free gas vent through the membrane and away from the building.
Churngold’s Rob Kislingbury said, ’The Protect GDB10 and integrating tape system are excellent, enabling us to quickly and efficiently create a floor that is fully compliant with appropriate Building Regulations’.
Z-Led’s Protect GDB10 Gas and Damp Barrier
- stops any methane, carbon dioxide and radon from entering the building,
- provides a damp-proof membrane eliminating the need for a separate barrier.
- meets the requirements of NHBC RSK ‘Guidance on Evaluation of Development Proposals on Sites where Methane and Carbon Dioxide are present’
- meets the requirements CIRIA C665 ‘Assessing Risks Posed by Hazardous Ground Gases to Buildings’
Z-Led has designed and developed a range of underfloor and cavity wall ventilation solutions that can be incorporated alongside Protect GDB10, or independently, to maximise effective protection from gas penetration.
Full details of the range can be found at www.z-led.com