Women in construction, safe site working and online CPD’s
Round-up of latest construction industry news
Howard Chapman, Editor of Buildingtalk
Take a look at the full version of the latest weekly Buildingtalk Newsletter emailed to industry subscribers.
Subscribe for free here
Women in construction, safe site working, online CPDs + new projects & products
We look at how more women in construction can help bridge the skills gap that threaten the completion of 27k projects according to a RICS report. With womens average earnings in construction now £39k , it is a great career option.
- online CPD on structural waterproofing from Newton
- a Fire Doors Explained seminar from BM Trada
- third party certification scheme for electrical installers from Stroma
Top product stories
- New Volt Stick Bright non-contact instant voltage tester from with a video on how it works;
- Downloadable BIM objects for pipe insulation from Kingspan Tarec and more BIM drainage products from Harmer
- Case study on the cost and energy savings from Aperio wireless lock technology.
Video of the week
Video promoting The Health & Safety Event at the NEC Birmingham, 24 – 26 March 2015. Co-located with Maintec and Facilities Management, this major event provides the key networking and educational opportunity to anyone responsible for running a safe and efficient workplace.
Top project stories
Open water heat pump system specified for London project
Home with underground space built on former bombsite
Weed control barrier from DuPont used to de-contaminate solar park
Vinyl flooring tiles fitted in coffee shop
Platform lift installed in UK home
Roof and wall panels specified for indoor skate park
Diversion of carpet from landfill increases
Crown Paints advise on the restoration of a historic Memorial Hall
Selectaglaze provide secondary glazing for Sloane Street properties
Tweets of the week
Great photo of the tidal power scheme in Swansea Bay that will generate 8% of UK power; plus the first straw homes that have gone on sale in Bristol that will cut fuel bills by 90%.
- 1st straw homes go on sale – cutting fuel bills by 90%
- 26% women in construction jobs by 2020 + big rise of women in senior roles
- £1bn 6mile Swansea bay causeway with 16 underwater turbines to generate 8% of UK power
- 27,000 building projects threatened by skills shortages
- Campaign to ban confusing toilet signs
- Should we bail out fracking as OPEC tries to put it out of business?
- West Midlands commercial property boom with most 2015 UK pending projects outside London – 600,000 sqm2 in the pipeline
- HMRC to tackle tax avoiders but no clamp down on umbrella payroll companies
- January UK construction output picks up strongly driven by residential housebuilding
READ MORE BLOGS