ANAEROBIC DIGESTION PLANT

Wilo contributes to anaerobic digestion plant expansion

  • 7 Jul 2016

Working in conjunction with Renewable Heat UK, Wilo UK has expanded and extended an existing anaerobic digestion plant on Broom House livestock farm at Oakethorpe, north of Derby.

After identifying a number of opportunities in the project, Renewable Heat UK started introducing new elements to the existing system, with the support of Wilo’s products. Nine energy saving pumps – including Wilo Yonos-MAXO and Wilo Stratos models – have been included in the newly expanded system.

The new anaerobic digestion system offers a number of benefits that are making a huge difference to the farm. Since its introduction, all organic matter produced on the farm – such as old feed, bedding, hedge clippings or cow muck – can go directly into the digester.

Methane, which is drawn from the top of the system, is used to fire an engine generator that creates 250mW of electricity. 10% of this is used to power all the farm’s required electronics, whilst the remaining 90% goes to the grid – theoretically, the system produces enough electricity to supply a small village.

With no radiator, its engine directly heats a large header tank to dissipate the heat; Wilo pumps then work to pump all water produced around the site to distribute the heat evenly across the farm.

The digestion plant’s waste product – low methane slurry – can be spread on the fields, benefitting from an 80% reduction in smell as a result of the anaerobic process. Following digestion, the fertiliser activates quickly on the fields; unlike other products, it does not have to lie for some time before the assimilation process starts.

The heat generated by the system’s engine sees the drinking water for the cows heated to 30 degrees C, which has resulted in an 8-10% better milk yield and the cow shed is heated to 20 degrees C resulting in faster growing, healthier calves on the farm as well. 

Healthier animals require far less antibiotics, reducing cost and other fears regarding the long term use of such drugs on animals which contribute to food supplies for human consumption.

Wilo,
Centrum 100,
Burton-on-Trent,
Staffordshire,
United Kingdom
DE14 2WJ

Phone: 01283 523000
Fax: 01283 523099

Visit Wilo's website

Leave a Reply

More articles

Freefoam

Freefoam’s quality and lifetime guarantees are number one for Simply Roofline

Since starting in 2006, Simply Roofline has taken pride in its service and expertise; Freefoam is the company it has turned to for the majority of its products.

Posted in Articles, Building Industry News, Building Products & Structures, Building Systems, Cladding, Drainage, Guttering, Soffits & Fascias, Posts, Roofs, Walls

Smartroof

Smart Money – How Lovell Homes reduced build time and costs with Smartroof

Lovell Homes have explored new methods to find a more efficient roofing solution to meet the growing demand for their ‘room in roof’ house types, with the help of Smartroof.

Posted in Articles, Building Industry News, Building Products & Structures, Case Studies, Posts, Restoration & Refurbishment, Retrofit & Renovation, Roofs, Sustainability & Energy Efficiency

Kalwall

Daylighting fit for Kings with Kalwall

The recent redevelopment of the food court at Kings Mall Shopping Centre exposed up some interesting and complex challenges, which were solved by Kalwall.

Posted in Articles, Building Industry News, Building Products & Structures, Case Studies, Cladding, Glazing, Posts, Restoration & Refurbishment, Retrofit & Renovation, Walls

Kingspan TEK

Creating a community with Kingspan TEK

Kingspan TEK Cladding Panels have provided an offsite wall solution for a school and leisure campus in Littleport, helping achieve excellent thermal performance.

Posted in Articles, BIM, Infrastructure & CAD Software, Building Industry News, Building Products & Structures, Building Systems, Case Studies, Cladding, Insulation, Posts, Restoration & Refurbishment, Retrofit & Renovation, Sustainability & Energy Efficiency, Walls