Alumasc Facades‘ Jay Conolly discusses the nine benefits of external wall insulation, from saving money to helping the environment.
1. Your home will be more thermally efficient, meaning you won’t use as much energy. You could potentially save hundreds on annual energy bills – increasing the thermal efficiency of your home will result in less energy being needed to keep it warm, so less money is spent on heating it.
2. Installing EWI is quick and all work takes place externally, so you can remain at home with minimal disruption. Internal space is not infringed upon and you do not lose space internally since the insulation is installed on the outside of the property.
3. There are additional acoustic benefits – EWI reduces noise pollution from the outside world to help keep your property quiet.
4. It prolongs the lifespan of your property; buildings are protected from the elements to help prevent deterioration. Protective finishes are used to defend the structure of the property, while the insulation system itself keeps moisture from entering the walls.
5. External insulation will upgrade the appearance of your building. Coloured, textured and brick finishes are available to suit any project. Colours may be offered or available on request (subject to minimum order size) while brick slips may be manufactured to replicate most UK brick types.
6. EWI contributes to helping the environment. Energy consumption will be reduced significantly, resulting in less fossil fuels being burned in order to heat your property. EWI will in turn reduce your carbon footprint while making your home nicer and more efficient to live in.
7. Insulation keeps the structure of your building dry. Installing a system eliminates condensation within the home and walls; if too much condensation is present, damp and mould are inevitable issues. EWI mitigates moisture within walls and keeps them dry to prevent damp and mould from arising in the future.
8. The overall value of your property will increase based on three main factors. Firstly, its U-value will increase. This is a measure of how well a material performs as an insulator, and a more effective insulator holds more value. Secondly, its EPC rating will increase. A property’s energy performance certificate tells residents how energy efficient it is. Finally, the appearance of your home will be upgraded. Thanks to a variety of coloured renders, textured finishes and even brick-effect finishes your home will have an improved aesthetic, thus contributing to a rise in its value.
9. Insulation helps your home in the summer as well as in the winter. On hot days, insulation is able to prevent your property from overheating. In houses with insulation, heat transferred from the sun to the walls doesn’t pass to the inside of the property, keeping the interior cool. Additionally, any air conditioning unit you may posses will be made more effective since the property is at a lower temperature. Cool air can be let into the house during the night by opening windows, then the insulation keeps the cool air inside when windows are closed throughout the day.
White House Works,
Phone: 01744 648400
Whilst no one could have predicted the tumultuous events of 2020, one milestone that was always going to be in the calendar was Freefoam Building Products reaching 30 years in business.Posted in Articles, Building Industry Events, Building Industry News, Building Products & Structures, Cladding, Drainage, Guttering, Soffits & Fascias, Fascias, Roofs, Video of the Week, Walls
Contour understands the challenges that hospitals are faced with when looking for LST radiators, Anti-ligature radiators and the radiator covers, with the priority being the safety and wellbeing of patients by creating an environment they feel comfortable in.Posted in Articles, Building Industry News, Building Products & Structures, Building Services, Health & Safety, Heating Systems, Controls and Management, Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning - HVAC, Interiors
The new Tottenham Hotspur Stadium has become one of the more renowned and iconic spaces to have benefitted from Alumasc WMS’ expertise, receiving the full ‘rain to drain’ treatment.Posted in Articles, Building Industry News, Building Products & Structures, Building Systems, Case Studies, Drainage, Guttering, Soffits & Fascias, Restoration & Refurbishment, Retrofit & Renovation
VinylPlus®, the Voluntary Commitment to sustainable development of the European PVC industry, brought together more than 180 participants from 24 countries at its recent virtual VinylPlus Sustainability Forum (VSF) (#CIRCULARVINYL).Posted in Articles, Awards, Building Industry Events, Building Industry News, Building Services, Exhibitions and Conferences, Site Preparation, Sustainability & Energy Efficiency, Waste Management & Recycling